Occupational Therapist Eligibility Determination Updates
Effective July 31st, 2013, internationally educated occupational therapists must meet one of the following minimum criteria to be considered eligible for the OTR® certification examination.
- Completion of an Entry-Level Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Therapy from a government authorized and/or WFOT approved college or university occupational therapy educational program AND a Post Professional Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy** OR
- Completion of an Entry-Level Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy from a government authorized and/or WFOT approved college or university occupational therapy educational program**
** In addition to the master’s degree requirement in occupational therapy, applicants must complete NBCOT’s Occupational Therapist Eligibility Determination (OTED) review to determine comparability to current US occupational therapy entry-level standards. Additional coursework may be needed to satisfy requirements.
All internationally-educated occupational therapists approved for exam eligibility under current OTED eligibility standards must take the OTR® certification examination prior to July 31st, 2014 if they do not hold an occupational therapy master’s degree deemed comparable to a U.S. entry-level accredited master’s degree in occupational therapy.
For more information about the exam eligibility criteria for internationally educated occupational therapists please view the Occupational Therapist Eligibility Determination (OTED) Handbook.
- July 2011 – Eligibility change announced
- January 1, 2013 – Deadline for bachelor’s degree only applications received for processing. The only new applications that will be accepted after January 2nd, 2013 will be from candidates who hold a master’s degree in occupational therapy.
- July 31, 2013 – All bachelors’ applications that were previously received must be complete – all requirements fulfilled and no outstanding documents (i.e., TOEFL). Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant after this date.
- July 31st, 2014 – Those applicants who have completed and been approved through the OTED process and do not hold a master’s degree will be able to test until July 31st, 2014. Testing after July 31st, 2014 will require the applicant to have a master’s degree in occupational therapy.