Applying for VCVC
Applicants are required to complete the VCVC application and provide documentation demonstrating compliance with the VCVC criteria.
All documentation received must be submitted by the primary source, which means that the documents are sent to NBCOT directly from the respective agency. An example is the official transcript must be sent directly from the registrar’s office of the school/university, in a sealed envelope with the official seal or stamp of the school. Documents that are not sent to NBCOT from the primary source will not be accepted and may delay the processing of your VCVC application.
Click on the link below to download the VCVC Handbook & Application. It is very important to read the Application Instructions very carefully. Any incomplete sections of the application will result in a delay in processing your approval letter.
7 Steps to complete the VCVC Application
1. Take and pass the NBCOT Certification Examination
2. Complete the VCVC Application
- The appropriate fee must accompany the completed application
- A signed passport-size photo must be included
- If applicable, name change information and supporting documentation are included
- If applicable, proof of power of attorney is included
3. Take and pass English Language Proficiency Exam
- Scores must be sent directly to NBCOT from ETS
- ETS will need NBCOT’s institution code to process your request: Code 9953
4. Request Transcript from your OT school
- Internationally-Educated Applicants: Submit a notarized copy of your official transcript or request that your OT program submit an original transcript directly to NBCOT. This must be submitted to NBCOT in English. If the original document is not in English, you must submit an original and an official translation.
- U.S.-Educated Applicants: Your school/program must send an original official transcript directly to NBCOT, Attn: VCVC Process
5. Request completion of the VCVC Program Director Form
- Complete the Applicant Section of the form, and forward the form to the program director of your OT school/program.
- The completed form must be sent directly to NBCOT by the Program Director.
6. Request completion of the Verification of OT License, Registration, Certification, or Other Form of Official Governament Recognition Form, and temporary permit history (if available)
- Complete the Applicant Section of the form, and forward the form to all government authorities that provided you with a license, registration or certification. Makes as may copies as necessary.
- If a temporary permit history is available, it must also be verified by the government entity
- The completed form and temporary permit history must be sent directly to NBCOT from the government entity.
- Official government websites are considered “primary source” verification. If an agency’s website has your licensure history available and includes the required information (beginning/ending dates, verification that the license was clear with no action taken against it), you may print out the verification and submit a copy with your VCVC Renewal Application. This verification would replace the required Verification form from that government agency.
7. Request completion of the International Verification of Academic Credential Form
- Please note: if the applicant’s transcript contains the information that is being requested on this form, the form does not have to be submitted
- Complete the Applicant Section of the form, and forward the form to the registrar of your OT school/program.
- The completed form must be sent directly to NBCOT, Attn: VCVC Process, by the registrar.
If you are an Internationally-Educated NBCOT Certificate holder who was approved to take the OTR exam within the last 5 years, you only need to complete Steps 2 and 6. (You must also complete Step 3 if your English exams were taken over two years ago.) If NBCOT requires any further documentation, you will be notified and will then be required to submit the necessary information to complete the VCVC application.