Update on NBCOT Operations Amid COVID-19
- Published: March 26, 2020
NBCOT continues to monitor the coronavirus situation. The state of Maryland is currently on orders from the governor for all non-essential businesses to remain closed. Public schools anticipate at least another four weeks before students can go back to school. Considering this information, NBCOT’s operations will continue to be maintained through remote work only. All online products and services continue to operate with no interruptions.
All mail and deliveries to our office in Gaithersburg, MD, ceased on March 13. Candidates and certificants should anticipate significant delays to any paper-based services. The services impacted are listed at the end of this message.
We are in constant communication with our testing contractor, Prometric, regarding the recent closure of all testing sites until at least April 16. All candidates who are impacted by test center closures will be issued a new 90-day ATT letter at no charge to allow for future scheduling. You will receive additional information regarding this process as soon as it is available. More information can be found online. We have added additional scoring days to April, May, and June.
Due to the challenges this pandemic continues to present, NBCOT has suspended the processing and acceptance of the Academic Credential Verification Form (ACVF) until further notice. Official final transcripts must be received by NBCOT for exam applications to be processed. More information can be found online.
For certificants due to renew their national certification in 2020, NBCOT extended the renewal deadline until May 31, 2020. More information can be found online. Certificates will not be mailed until we resume normal business operations. If you or your employer needs to verify your certification status, visit www.nbcot.org and click on the “Verify an OTR/COTA” button on the top.
The best way to continue to communicate with us is via email at email@example.com or through our social channels listed below. Our phone systems will only be taking messages, and we will make every effort to provide callbacks in a timely manner, but please note there may be a delay in our response.
Thank you for your continued patience during this time.
Paper-based services that are currently delayed until our office resumes normal operations:
For exam candidates
- Paper exam applications – please apply online
- Transcripts received via mail – NBCOT will accept transcripts electronically that are transferred using a secure and verifiable transcript service or clearinghouse. The documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ACVF – The policy will be revisited when normal operations resume.
- Company Eligibility Confirmations
- Paper renewal applications – you can renew online in less than 5 minutes through your MyNBCOT account
- Reinstatement applications
- Verification of Certification letters – certification status can also be verified online at www.nbcot.org
- Renewal audit
- Mailing of initial and renewal certificates
- State reactivation exam applications
- Visa Credential Verification Certificate (internationally educated OTRs)
- Credential Evaluation Letter (internationally educated OTRs)