NBCOT has published a variety of exam preparation tools designed to help your students assess their exam readiness, focus study efforts in the appropriate content areas, and become familiar with the domains tested on the exam.
We encourage you to use these resources as a reference for curriculum development and review, as a foundation for classroom assignments, and when guiding your students on their path to success during study groups and guidance sessions.
Aspire® Exam Prep Tools
Our entry-level Self-Assessment tools is an excellent resource to help students identify their self-perceived indication of knowledge, skills, and experience in relation to the validated domains and tasks of OT practice.
- Using the tool before and after fieldwork can help students identify gaps
- Unlimited use
- Feedback report can guide personalized study plans
The Official NBCOT Study Guide includes test-taking strategies and effective study habits and tips.
- Available in hard copy or online
- 100 sample multiple-choice questions with answers, rationales, and references
- OTR only - sample Clinical Simulation Test (CST) item with answers, rationales, and references
- COTA only - sample six-option multi-select items with answers, rationales, and references
Students are able to study anywhere at anytime with our online Flashcards.
- Over 500 terms and definitions across the domain areas of the OTR and COTA exam outline
- Customizable settings to enable learning in Study or Quiz mode
- Sorting feature allows you to place cards into piles of terms you know ("Know It") and terms you want to review ("Study It")
Knowledge Match Game
Students can test their knowledge in a fun and interactive environment.
- 20 games covering a range of OT topics
- Receive immediate feedback
- Includes recommended reading list at the end of each game
Test your student's readiness by simulating the format and flow of the real exam using the only practice tests available with questions developed using the same methodology as the exam itself.
- Items reflect current content from the OTR and COTA exams
- Receive a scaled score at the end of the test along with a feedback report
- 4 different OTR practice tests
- 4 different COTA practice tests
Occupational Therapy Knowledge Exam (OTKE)
There is an OTR OTKE and a COTA OTKE. Each test contains three- and four-option single response multiple-choice items. The COTA OTKE also contains some six-option multi-select items.
To order or manage OTKE tests, log in to your Program Director Portal and click on OTKE.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the OTKE?
What is the difference between the OTKE and the NBCOT online multiple-choice practice test?
The NBCOT Occupational Therapy Knowledge Exam (OTKE) is an online, cohort-based test designed exclusively for program directors to assist with analyzing students' performance related to the validated domains AND task statements for entry-level practice. The OTKE tests are purchased and managed through the Program Director Portal.
What are the benefits of having my student take the OTKE?
The OTKE score reports provide program directors with in-depth information about their students' performance in the following areas:
- Percentage of items scored correctly by each student at each task level
- Number of items scored correctly by each student across the whole test
- Percentage of items scored correctly at the domain level by overall cohort group
How long is the OTKE?
How much is the OTKE?